Thursday, August 9, 2018

CHOOSING TO FORMULA FEED

Making the decision to formula feed my son was probably the best decision I made even though I felt bad at first. When my son was first born he latched immediately and fed on both sides for a total of 45 minutes. Everyone (myself included) was very surprised. The night he was born (12/28/17) he stayed in the nursery so my husband and I could try and sleep (which did not happen) and was formula fed.

The day following I breastfed on and off, but was noticing that I felt very overwhelmed and 100 % couldn't handle the fact that I could not tell how much he was eating. By the time we left, Sal was pretty much formula fed and we used "nursing" as a way for skin to skin. Thankfully, my husband completely supported my decision and the nurses (except for the lactation consultant) were very supportive as well.

Pumping...
Dear God pumping... First and formost, I give all the credit in the world to moms who breastfeed and/or pump. I tried pumping when we got home from the hospital... I have NO IDEA how moms find the time to do this, feed their baby, clean, do laundry, and still have time to sleep. 

In the end, Formula worked for us. We were using the Similac brand that was originally given by the hospital but switched to Enfamil Gentlease after my son had a HORRIBLE night. He cried from about 1-4 am. My husband went out and picked up the formula and a few Starbucks Espresso drinks for us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE POLAR EXPRESS

My husband and I took Sal for his first ever (and ours) Polar Express experience. The only word I can use to explain it is MAGICAL. To beg...